Re: [fpu] I would like to join in the project.

----- Original Message -----
From: Barry O'Rourke <orourke@cadence.com>
To: <fpu@opencores.org>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: [fpu] I would like to join in the project.

> Hey Guys,
>
> Good to see something happening on this list at long last.
>
> Well there seems to be 3 of us. If you're up for it we could push

There is about 40 people on the list. Hopefully we can wake up some of them.

> forward with some specification, or at least a feature list.

Finally something. I can help with:

- specs
- GCC support (especially important if our specs don't follow IEEE specs and
you need some software routines to be IEEE compliant)
- library for handling exceptions (cases when some not so common operations
are performed in software or when some operations are not 100% compatible
with IEEE specs)
- software library for double precision IEEE etc.

I would prefer not to work on implementation itself since I have enough work
with OR1K and some other cores.

> Looking at the Web pages I think we'll need to be a bit less
> ambitious with the number of operations we are going to support
> if there is going to be any possibility of fitting the core onto
> piece of silicon.

True. Especially for embedded applications.

> I'd suggest that an initial implementation of:
>
> - Add/Subtract
> - Multiply
> - Comparisons
> - Integer Conversion
>
> Fully pipelined for one instruction per cycle with single percision
> IEEE numbers would prove to be a substantial piece of hardware.

If we can develop such a core then I think I can guarantee HW implementation
in silicon (not FPGA; more details in a couple of weeks).

regards,
Damjan