Re: [fpu] Current progress

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 you wrote:
> For me currently I am trying to study the IEEE floating arithmetic
> standard and some FPUs. Also I am studying some algorithms about MAC
> instruction.
>
> I think it is important for us to be compatible with the IEEE standard
> but anyhow we do not have it so we have to dig for information.

Yes, it should be and since we target lower gate counts I don't think it
is beneficial incorporating non-IEEE mode.

> Do you have any suggestions for your questions below?

Since we want to design IEEE 754-compliant FPU, I think it should be ok to
start defining the insn set and conforming with OR1K system architecture.

But of course, it's hard to start without the IEEE standard in our hands
because we won't adopt from other architectures.

Do you have any ideas?

Best regards,

Usef