Re: [pci] PCI <-> 8255 PIO

>>>>> "emanuel" == emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com> writes:

    emanuel> Hi all, Absolutely new here, so please bear with me ;-)

    emanuel> I'm trying to built a board which has 2-4 8255 chips attached
    emanuel> to the pci bus. My idea is to get the Memec Spartan 2 board for
    emanuel> it, and make a small add-on board with the 8255s (and other
    emanuel> stuff). I thought about using the Opencores PCI Bridge for it.

    emanuel> So, the question are ...

    emanuel> a.) What problems should I expect ?

The Hirose connectors may be difficult to get.

    emanuel> b.) how difficult would that be ? (boards & layouts are not a
    emanuel> problem)

You have to have some experience with Verilog and FPGA programming.

    emanuel> c.) are there still enough resources in the spartan II left
    emanuel> (with the pci bridge & control for the 8255s), to add a DMA
    emanuel> engine to it ?

I guess, you could implement the 8255 in the FPGA too :-)

Bye