Re: [openrisc] or1200 - newbie questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Outwater" <Keith_Outwater@mvis.com>
To: <openrisc@opencores.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 11:43 PM
Subject: [openrisc] or1200 - newbie questions

> Greetings all -
> I am new to this list.  I have an application that calls for an embedded
> soft processor core and I have a few questions regarding the or1200:
>
> 1. How mature is the design?

It is not finished yet (it looks like we might even add features not planned
for this version), but it runs uClinux and hopefully it will soon run RTEMS.

> 2. I am an experienced RTEMS user and it appears that there is an
> ongoing effort to port RTEMS to the or1200.  Has the port been completed
> and tested?  Have device drivers been written for any peripherals?

That is great, maybe you are interested to help porting RTEMS. RTEMS worked
a while ago, but then we changed the simulator and the GNU toolchain and
original developer porting RTEMS left. Right Ivan Guzvinec is working on
RTEMS port, but he also has other work (simulator, toolchain) and he could
use some help. ;-)

> 3. My target device is a Xilinx Virtex2 - are there any performance
> figures for this core with a basic set of peripherals available?

We did not try on Virtex2. Maybe you can try? It depends what is your
Virtex2 part speed. We are running it on ordinary Virtex -6 at 32MHz
(although synthesis says only around 22MHz or so).

> 4. I'm happy to read the RTFMs on the subject of the or1200/RTEMS effort
> - any pointers?

Right now we are more focused on uClinux (Marko,Simon, can we get the
tutorial for uClinux on the web?). If you have questions regarding RTEMS,
Ivan could answer. I can answer OR1200 design questions.

regards,
Damjan