Re: [openrisc] Question regarding ISA for OR1200

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 01:17, Damjan Lampret wrote:
> Hi Shane,
>
> I think right now MIPS way is the only way how we can do it. But
> for next generation we should definately do something.
>
> regards,
> Damjan

Yes, understandable.  Additional questions...,
1) Is the CPU presently synthesizable? (even if only slightly
functional :) )

2) PCB- I see the reference designs are done on the site, but no one
is making them yet.  While I have the tools necessary to do this,
buying a Virtex kit while expensive is much faster..., any
suggestions?  (Avnet FPGA dev kit looks nice)  And any help needed
here?

3) Components- Outside of buying a pre-fab board from a company like
Avnet, has anyone taken the plunge to buy the requisite components to
build up the boards?  I could get all the components to make the
boards, *except* I have no Virtex FPGAs..., is there a way in low
volume to pick these up?

4) Business- I discussed with another one of the Agenda project
founders about doing an Open Hardware/Software system.  For reference
the Agenda project is www.agendacomputing.com, basically an all
opensource/freesoftware PDA.  We think that by using a design based
on the various hardware components on opencores we could greatly
decrease the overall component count of a device, which should
translate into cost and PCB space savings.  This would be a rather
long term project as many of the components here are still quite a
bit off from completion, but what could a company with manufacturing
and software expertise do to help advance the state of the project?
(This is all very pre-emptory, just getting a feeling in advance)

Thanks,
Shane Nay.