Re: [ethmac] Block diagrams - deferring

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Maik Boden wrote:

> module DeferCounter:
> Starts counting after each IFG and asserts excess_deferral when the maximum
> value of defer time is reached. But why? This only happends on an idle medium
> when the TxMAC is in BackOff state. You can use this to shorten the back off
> time but then you are not conform with the standard.

In my opinion, DeferCounter will only start counting if there is a new
packet that has to be transmitted, and not after each IFG.
And this module will stop counting if there is transmit_available. So, if
there is a collision that makes backoff operation, this module is not
being counting anymore. Because if there is a collision, there must be
transmit_available before and at least a nibble data from preamble has
been transmitted. Is it clear ?

Best Regards,

- novan hartadi -