[nnARM] RE: nnARM development efforts

Hello,

I am excited to see the nnARM core posted onto the OpenCores web site.  I work with Xilinx FPGAs at my job in Arizona, and I have been considering developing a simple processor core during "extra hours" after work.  I have begun only by building some peripherals for use in real-time debugging, like serial port and ps2 keyboard interface.  I have not begun any processor development work yet.  But I am very interested in what you are doing.

I always wonder about the availability of compilers for various soft-core processors... So here is my question:  Is there a freely available C-compiler and assembler for ARM7 which can run in Windows98 or NT?  It looks to me like you are using the ARM project manager, which must be included in the ARM Software Development Kit?  I do not have these tools, but they look very user friendly.

Are those tools available for small price?  I saw the ARM development suite at http://www.arm.com/devtools/tools_pricing?OpenDocument for a price of $5500 US, which I definitely cannot afford, but maybe the free evaluation would run long enough to use it somewhat?

Also, I found some mention of an ARM cross-compiler for LINUX at:

http://emdebian.sourceforge.net/crossdev.html

But my Linux is at home.  I only have Windows here at work.

Any information you can provide about the availability of the ARM software tools, I would appreciate.  Then I could compile code for it at my desk here.  Also, I currently only have a Xilinx SpartanII (XC2S200) would that be enough gates possibly to fit this ARM architecture?

- John Clayton