Re: [ethmac] specification for eth MAC

At 05:41 PM 4/11/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Kent Dahlgren wrote:
> > At 01:11 AM 4/12/00 +0700, you wrote:
> > >About the FIFO, how large we need ?
>
> > I would make the Tx and Rx FIFOs parameterized.
>
>If you do that, can you still wire the FIFO directly into the hardware?

Huh?

>It seems like you must decide on a FIFO size if you are going to build
>the fastest on-chip FIFO available...

What leads you to that conclusion? Specifying the FIFO at a high level
of abstraction will usually give the best performance (by any metric). It
allows the synthesis tool to use optimized macros, and all of the macros
that I have seen in either ASIC or FPGA libraries are parameterized.

Kent

Praesum Communications                  Phone: (510) 337-0495
Suite 1                                 Fax:   (510) 337-0418
1134E Ballena Blvd                      email: kent@praesum.com
Alameda, Ca. 94501                      web:   www.praesum.com