Re: To trash the FAQ?

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 21:16:18 CET

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 07:06:17PM +0000, Stephen Isard nicely wrote:
> Michele Andreoli wrote:
> >
> > Some people writes me privately, telling the FAQ is a very bad work;
> > that it is un-usable, un-understandable, etc.
>
> You have made a very good start, Michele, please don't be discouraged
> and abandon the FAQ.

Yes, I'm a little irritated, a this moment. It's embarassing *grin*
(how Winsor said) to see that users absolutely do not read anything.

This is for me incredible, really: I keep installed in my machine 1252
debian package, but I really use only 10-20. I simply read documents!
The only thing I really love in this packages is documentation.
This is not a joke: they are usually poor performant, approximatives,
imperfect, but the docs (the README.txt, the Changelog.txt, the
HISTORY.txt, CREDITS.txt, AUTHORS.txt etc) are so humans. This docs
shows that behind the software there are HUMANS, not robots.

>In general, people don't write when they
> understand the documentation and everything is fine. I think your
> reason for doing the FAQ was your observation that a lot of questions
> really were asked frequently. If it turns out that some of the answers
> need to be refined, ok, that will come with time.

I was thinking about tomsrtbt: an excellent single-floppy, but
without documentation. So, surely Tom Oeheser do not receive bad
feedbacks about documentation.

Michele

--
In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen