Re: To trash the FAQ?

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 09:11:06 CET

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 10:13:26PM -0800, winsor SMP nicely wrote:
> Michele,
>
> It seems to me that the FAQ's in themselves are very useful.
> I think where the problem lies, is in the fact that to windows users Linux is an entirely alien operating system. getty??? proccess???....er uh...what's that???

Can us surrogate the Linux Documentation Project in a simple FAQ??

> And extremely new users just don't know what terms mean.
> Maybe a link to "jgo.local.net/LinuxGuide/" is in order for the website.
> this site carries quite a bit of "generic" linux info including basic command syntax, and a course "translation dictionary" ie:DOS/Linux.

Good: I will put

> There was a time that we all were rank newbies.......
> .....we must remember 8^P

Newbie is ok, but lazy no. I like books. There are more books today
about Linux, at any level.

Originally, in the basic mulinux README, was stated

=====================================
muLinux is not
for newbye, but for the Linux
fan in general, or the curious person who wants to look inside
scripts to understand why an hack as muLinux <tt/sendmail/
(only 1216 bytes) is really able
to deliver mail with the correct return-address
=====================================

But someone suggested me to remove the reference to "not for newbye",
because many DOS users was dowloading it.

But, to be honest, this should be enforced: -not for newbye-, but
in more deep sense. The newbye is strongly encouraged to read manpages,
documentation, and to use performant tools. muLinux isn't suitable
as ship-school, only because it install easy.

All other mini-Linux are -not for newbye-: it is not a muLinux
peculiarity.

Michele

--
In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen