Re: Too much growing?

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 00:45:19 CET

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 07:42:23PM +0100, Angel Martin Alganza nicely wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I really like what I see about muLinux, although I haven't been able to
> install it yet (but that's a story for a different post). I'm following
> with great interest the whole tread about the new organization of basic
> muLinux in three floppies and I am worrying a bit that muLinux could become
> a kind of "normal" distribution.

To go off the straight and narrow, was started many releases ago, with
the introdution of the first addon: X11, not with the proposed (and
realized) split EXT->SRV/WKS. After that, I hadn't capable to slow-down
the trasmigration.

"Normal" a complete UNIX system in three floppy disk? Mmmm ...

> Maybe
> I'm doing too much philosophy out of it, but I'm curious to know what you
> all think about those things and would very much like muLinux to continue
> being what it is :)

Once the first addon has been introduced, the genetic transformation
is in act since long time .
To late to have second thoughts. The addition of a further
disk is only a drop in the ocean.

BTW, what is the muLinux that you have in mind? The first floppy,
isn't true? Well, I'm with you: the first floppy in not changed!
Why to scandalize if I add in muLinux mutt, smail, pgp, patch/diff,
md5sum, rsh when I just added a monster like Wine in a separated addon??

I'm sure, you are worried because the names of the new addon (WKS and
SRV) recall in your mind Microsof NT 4.0. If it is, do not worry!
These names are only matter of convention. How to call them?
EXT1 and EXT2?
These names helps me to find with euristic where is a binary:
I know smbd (a daemon) is in SRV, and mutt (a client) is in WKS.

Yes, I introduced the add-on idea under the users boost, but
without any sort of add-on muLinux should be now a simple maniacal
floppy disk.

I learned very much with script in the first floppy, but we have
now "0 kb" free on this diskette. Perseverare diabolicum!

Michele

--
"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen