Too much growing?

From: Angel Martin Alganza (ama@ugr.es)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 19:42:23 CET

Hello,

I really like what I see about muLinux, although I haven't been able to
install it yet (but that's a story for a different post). I'm following
with great interest the whole tread about the new organization of basic
muLinux in three floppies and I am worrying a bit that muLinux could become
a kind of "normal" distribution.

         I think the basic idea of what all goes around is muLinux being a
very small footprint Linux distribution, suitable for installing in
small/old systems, which is also easy to install (I have to say I don't
agree at all about that... and I can say I have a lot of experience with
other distros -see my next post about this subject). With such amount of
new programs (binaries) added to the distro and w/o a package managing
system... won't a typical muLinux installation grow a bit too much? Mainly
if you install a given add-on because you need a certain binary and get
installed the whole thing when you might not need most of it.

         Perhaps a package manager could solve the problem, but, if we
could select individual packages (programs) to be install... muLinux would
be more similar to what I've called "normal" Linux distro... and perhaps
this could be taken as an excuse to add even more packages to it... Maybe
I'm doing too much philosophy out of it, but I'm curious to know what you
all think about those things and would very much like muLinux to continue
being what it is :)

Regards,
Angel

Angel MARTIN ALGANZA http://www.ugr.es/~ama/
Departamento de Genetica & Instituto de Biotecnologia
Campus de Fuentenueva. Universidad de Granada
E-18071 Granada - Spain Tel +34 958 248 926
mailto:ama@ugr.es ICQ#5334825 Fax +34 958 244 073