Re: Connecting Commodore PET to mu

From: Unit 4 (unit4@i-plus.net)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 07:02:19 CEST

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 00:50:39 +0200 (MEST), Mark Roberts wrote:

}Important note: I am looking for information about standard protocols, so
}that I can implement them for the PET. I am not looking for information
}about the user port itself, because I have the full manual here already.
}But since I would need to implement the protocol bit by bit, I need a
}precise desciption of what usually goes on inside a serial modem cable, or
}a aprallel cable.

With 8 pins you're stuck with serial. Parallel requires more.
Old serial standard is RS-232-C. Pin numbers on a port may differm but their
functions are standardized.

http://www.rad.com/networks/1995/rs232/rs232.htm

"Interface Between Data Terminal Equipment and Data Communications Equipment
Employing Serial Binary Data Interchange." Includes bibliography:

Nichols, Nichols and Musson "Data Communications For
Microcomputers":McGraw-Hill Company.

Demas, Demas "Interfacing and Scientific Computing on Personal
Computers":Allyn and Bacon.

Stone "Microcomputer Interfacing":Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.
Campbell "The RS-232 Solution":Sybex

"EIA Standard RS-232-C" : Engineering Department, Electronic Industries
Association.

Between these and the web site you should be able to cover everything.