Re: mu SETUP - use "clone"

From: Gerrit Lammert (lammert@gmx.de)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 22:58:46 CEST

Hi,

> 6) muLinux shows me the partition table and gives me the chance to change
it.
> Device Boot Begin Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/hda1 a 1 1 557 204673 83 Linux
native
> /dev/hda2 558 558 696 50182+ 6 DOS 16-bin
>=32M
> /dev/hda3 697 697 915 80482+ 5 Extended
> /dev/hda5 697 697 915 80485 82 Linux swap
>
> Note: I don't know where the hda3 came from I did not make it. I used
> slackware 3.4 install floppies to run cfdisk to make the partitions but
when
> the floppy install of stackware failed it left the partitions in place and
> started trying muLinux. hda3 and hda5 start at the same spot and look to
> share the same space, could this be the problem? If this install failes I
> will try to remove hda3 then install muLinux again.

You know dos?
hda3 is an "extended partition", hda5 is a "logical drive" in it. So you
should leave it that way ;-)
You might (if you like, but no advantage) to delete hda5, then 3 and add a
new primary partition (it will be called hda3 too, but no hda5 then).
So, just leave it that way...

> 8) muLinux is asking for a destination partition I choose /dev/hda1 the
> default by pressing enter.

good choise :-)

> 9) muLinux asks me about boot partition, it says if I want to use lilo,
and I
> do, that the boot partition should be /dev/null. So I type /dev/null and
> press enter.
> # Note: this says "if it does'nt has " it should read "if it doesn't have"

/dev/null is the nirvana, it is used to delete things (by sending them to
dev/null), so it is not a good idea, installing lilo into it ;-)
you have to enter /dev/hda1 in your case!

When it does the formatting and copies something to disk, it might have
worked, lets see...

...start mulinux using the disks
...now tell mulinux to "use" your first partition, type "mount -t ext2
/dev/hda1 /mnt", this will install the hda1-partition to the "folder" /mnt
(which already exists and is generally used for this purpose), meaning, that
by looking into this directory you see, what's on your hd's first partition.
...so do "ls /mnt" and if you get something none-empty, clone did copy
something...

...hope I could help...

...gerrit