Re: plip with mulinux

From: Sven Conrad (SvenConrad@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 00:39:14 CEST

Dumas Patrice wrote:

> I want to have two pc linked with plip, because I have only one screen, but 2
> displays (keyboard + mouse). On the pc with the screen, there is a full linux,
> so an X server will be running here, and so the other pc, running mulinux could
> share the same screen as an X client.

Thanks. If there is not further network device on any computer, this is
a very
simple constalation. Only setup plip will do the job. Don't forget to
swap the
IP's on each side.

> plip is running on the 2 computers, but ping doesn't work. In fact I don't know
> wether my cable is a null cable or not. I have this cable because I have an
> external cdrecorder, and this is the cable used for it. Does someone know if it
> is a null cable ?

No, it isn't. Buy some new cable. They are often named "laplink kabel"
or
"parallel nullmodem". If you want to solder one by your own: there is a
discription in the plip kernel files.
Allso I often saw decriptions for a 8 bit Kabel in plip docs, but I
guess
this is only implemented in newer plip versions and not with the
one of kernel 2.0.x.
Michell wrote it is slow. This is relative. Most the time I get 50
kByte/sec.
This is 10 time below ethernet but 5 time above ppp. Whenever you have
the
chance for ethernet, this is the better choice, but plip is very
portable.
That is, what I like. It allso works with very old laptops.

> another remark about the following line :
> prompt PLIP_PORT "$PLIP_PORT" "Enter linux paralel port (0, 1, 2)"
>
> I don't think it is a good way to do, as it is the kernel that says what number
> it is. So I think a better way would be to do something like: (taken from a
> Michele's script).
> save=$IFS; IFS=:
> set -- `dmesg | grep '^plip\?'`
> dev=$1
> IFS=save
>
> Well, that's what I did...

ok, That is possible, but I don't like dmsg. I would prefere
/proc/net/dev.
On the other side, if there are more than one parallel port, you can't
select
and the script is in trouble because of multiple lines from grep.

/sven