Re: [mu TECH] A new installer for DOS

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 21:51:27 CEST

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 07:05:18PM +0200, Miguel Angel nicely wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it> kindly wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I totally rewrote DOSTOOLS.zip. The installer command is now "makefd.bat"
> > (make floppy disk), not install.bat. It is a pure DOS command: no need
> > to run it in full DOS mode. It works also in a simple dos windows: it
> > use rawrite.exe to create
> > a new kind of mini-linux, a sort of installer/rescue
> > disk, formatted 1.44 with DOS filesystem. It boot using syslinux,
> > not loadlin.
>
> Hi Michele!
> Really good news.
> Here is my rawrite2 utility. I have writen it from scratch. It allow writing
> images of any floppy type (1.44MB, 1722KB, 1804, ...), so makes really easy
> for a DOS user to write all mulinux images to floppy (provided the floppy has
> the right format). Under DOS it needs the fdread or 2m utilities (since it uses
> the BIOS to disk access), but under win95 you are able to write 1722KB floppies
> without any of this utilities (win95 supports fdformat 1722KB).
> Please, have a look on it.
>
> A copy of the fdformat and 2m packages are available from my homepage
> (http://www.navegalia.com/personal/maacruz)

I download the .zip from your page. The very fist version of muLinux
installer for DOS (2-3 years ago) was with tho installer: install.bat,
and install2.bat. install2.bat used a fdformat at 1722k for dos/windows,
but it worked always randomly (many users reported failure).

I hope you checked with antivirus this .exe! I wish not to distribute
virus around the world.

If work, I will provide both solution.

P.S: there is in a command for Win98 able to format a zip floppy
in ntfs? I wish to test what happens with ntfs, but I haven't NT
anymore.

Michele