Re: [mu TECH] A new installer for DOS

From: Miguel Angel (maacruz@navegalia.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 19:05:18 CEST

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it> kindly wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I totally rewrote DOSTOOLS.zip. The installer command is now "makefd.bat"
> (make floppy disk), not install.bat. It is a pure DOS command: no need
> to run it in full DOS mode. It works also in a simple dos windows: it
> use rawrite.exe to create
> a new kind of mini-linux, a sort of installer/rescue
> disk, formatted 1.44 with DOS filesystem. It boot using syslinux,
> not loadlin.

Hi Michele!
Really good news.
Here is my rawrite2 utility. I have writen it from scratch. It allow writing
images of any floppy type (1.44MB, 1722KB, 1804, ...), so makes really easy
for a DOS user to write all mulinux images to floppy (provided the floppy has
the right format). Under DOS it needs the fdread or 2m utilities (since it uses
the BIOS to disk access), but under win95 you are able to write 1722KB floppies
without any of this utilities (win95 supports fdformat 1722KB).
Please, have a look on it.

A copy of the fdformat and 2m packages are available from my homepage
(http://www.navegalia.com/personal/maacruz)

Saludos!

 --
Don't see the world trought a window, be open{source}minded, and be free :-)