Re: MU NEWBIE: EXT2 installation just a curiosity???

From: Chris Ellec (cellec@elecsysinc.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 17:26:25 CEST

Stephen McLaughry wrote:

> I have the following setup: Toshiba laptop 486 with 20M memory and
> 200M HD. At the moment I have muLinux on a 180M EXT2 partition (with
> 20M swap partition). However, I've noticed the following sentence in
> the README file: "By the way, if you really have a spare partition
> sufficiently big, why don't you install a true Linux?"
>
> So, is the 180M partition sufficiently big for a "true Linux"? Also,
> what's so "untrue" about muLinux? Are the significant advantages to
> running, say, RedHat (which I have on another, larger machine)?

If you want to install one of the "famous" Linux distribution such as Red
Hat or Suse, you will need about 400 Mb for a typical install. A good
part of it is the kernel source and all the compiler stuff to recompile
the kernel.

Maybe you could try something like Debian, where you start with a couple
of floppies, kind of like mulinux, but then they have a pretty cool
package manager where you do all the install from their ftp site. You
could do it with a modem or a plip connection. That way you can just add
all the packages you want until the disk is full ...

I did it once on an old Laptop that only has 100 Mb hard drive. That's
the one I'm using to try mulinux now.

Chris.