Re: MU NEWBIE: EXT2 installation just a curiosity???

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 19:12:30 CEST

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 12:52:37PM +0100, Stephen McLaughry nicely wrote:
> I have the following setup: Toshiba laptop 486 with 20M memory and
> 200M HD. At the moment I have muLinux on a 180M EXT2 partition (with
> 20M swap partition). However, I've noticed the following sentence in
> the README file: "By the way, if you really have a spare partition
> sufficiently big, why don't you install a true Linux?"
>
> So, is the 180M partition sufficiently big for a "true Linux"?

No. With only 180M you don't gain much installing a big distro.
Anyway, muLinux is "true Linux", because Linux is the kernel.
The correct expression should be: "install a GNU/Linux" and
trash "MU/Linux", or mantains it for poket Linux.

>Also,
> what's so "untrue" about muLinux? Are the significant advantages to
> running, say, RedHat (which I have on another, larger machine)?

This question make me very proud! muLinux is only an imitation of
GNU/Linux, because the most part of command are emulated with scripts.
If user do not look a this scripts at least one times, goal of
muLinux is missing, in this case.

> Now I'm beginning to think it
> would be cool to have my own home network, so I can start writing
> cluster-computing applications. So, is muLinux the right choice to
> run on the old computer?)

yes and no, i.e. MU (it means nothing in Zen). YES, because it is
little and networking is OK. NO, because old laptops often adopts
unusual hard-ware.

Michele