Re: identd

From: winsor (winsor@wi.net)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 01:47:21 CEST

From what I've gathered identd passes a user id along with the operating
system being used.....I personally see no point in using this.....but it
was a chance to play with netcat yet again*grin*

BTW I just acquired a pair of linksys etherfast cards and a 10/100
hub...think I'm going to start working with the multiple ethercard
question.
I'll scrounge up the tulip driver somewhere unless you've got it hidden
on one of your muLinux disks???

signed
winsor

Michele Andreoli wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 04:44:41PM -0600, winsor nicely wrote:
> > according to RFC-931 the identd protocol is quite simple.
> > The server receives a query in the form of
> > <local-port>, <foreign-port>
> > to which the proper reply is in the form of
> > <local-port>, <foreign-port> : <response-type> : <additional-info>
> >
> > I'm just curious as to whether nc could just send a simple text file
> > with the needed info.....
> > I'm still reading the RFC so if I run across anything that seems a bit
> > strange I'll post it....and probably have a few questions to boot:)
>
> I can easily build a script-server with NC which do that, but
> what about value? Anycase, I missing the point: what is the scope
> of identd?
>
> Michele
> --
> I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't
> remember any. Would two negative ones do? -- Woody Allen

The more I use Linux, the harder Windows becomes to use. Point and click
software is too restrictive and difficult to do anything productive
with.