Re: request for Netscape

From: Clive Wright (clive_wright@telinco.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 23:20:57 CET

Renato wrote:

> On 05/02/00 at 01:44 Clive Wright wrote:
>
> >netscape 3.01 can be obtained from:
> >
> >ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/monkey/packages/netscape.tgz
> >
> > I should point out that it is double wrapped. If you unpack
> >it at "/" the real netscape.tar.gz will be in "/tmp" and the
> >"/install" directory can be safely removed.
> >
> Clive,
>
> I installed netscape and it freezes the X as soon as I can click inside its window.
> Reading startx.log I can see something about fonts that could not be substituted.
> I can see also in /root/.netscape/preferences a warning about not editing this automatic generated configuration file.

I also get the warnings about fonts but these are no
critical errors and should not cause X to freeze.
I have re-installed netscape and X11 but have been unable to
duplicate the symptoms you describe.
I assume you are using a cloned installation of mulinux. I
would not expect netscape to run on a ram disk.
How much memory has your linux box and what size swap do you
have configured?
Also does your graphics card have its own memory or does it
use system memory?
I know that it will not work with a vga16 X server. Did you
succeed in configuring the svga X server you downloaded from
Dave Houghtons website?
I may be running adifferent X server to you. Before starting
X enter the command:

X -showconfig

Compare the version info with the results I get:

XFree86 Version 3.2 / X Window System
Release Date: Oct 26 1996
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your
card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before
reporting
        problems. (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux [ELF]

If lack of memory is the problem you may be able to run
netscape without the overhead of a window manager and other
X applications by exiting X and starting it directly from
the command prompt:
xinit -e netscape
or if netscape is not in your path or is incorrectly
installed unpack the tarball that the first unpacking left
in the /tmp directory. If it exists delete or rename the
.netscape directory in /root and issue the command:
xinit -e /tmp/netscape and if all is well you should be
presented with netscape's license agreement.
Well there are a few things to try.
Has anyone else had problems running this version of
Netscape?

Clive