Re: Re: mu [Tcl bugs]

From: Dave Houghton (davehoughton@mulinux.free-online.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 01:48:42 CET

On 7 Dec 1999, Tom Poindexter <tpoindex@nyx.net> wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 03:18:03AM +0000, Dave Houghton wrote:
>
>> tkftp..
>> the maximise/restore button bindings are not working correctly, it just shifts the position on the screen rather than going full screen/restore.
>
>I assume you mean using the window manager's maximize functions? I'll take
>a quite look. The author will have a new version shortly, not sure if that is
>something addressed. This could also be due to the particular Tk geometry
>manager that was used.
>
>I also may have introduced some sizing bugs in trying to make the apps fit
>on a VGA-sized X window.

Sorry Tom, I meant to say the fvwm maximise functions. Clicking the centre right button on the vmail title bar changes it from the "single" window button(maximised) to the "double" window button(restored) so the function works o.k it just doesn't resize properly. It doesn't seem to matter whether you use vga or svga as I do by default (800x600).

>> vmail...
>> doesn't handle messages sent in multipart/alternate format. It just gives error message and then creates blank entries dated somewhere in the 1970's. This happens when you either read the message or attempt to re-sort the messages by date, sender etc.
>>
>> Any chance of adding defered send to vmail 'cause it's a real pain in the .... having to be on-line to compose/send replys individualy, though not as big a pain as I am eh?
>

>I'll look into the multipart bug. It could be because of my hacked mmencode
>program.
>
>The online/offline problem might be more of a long term effort.
>
>For any budding code tweakers out there, consider adopting vmail. It's a
>fairly large app with lots of features which could use polishing. I tried
>to bring it up to speed just to send/read simple text messages, and did
>some work on the newsreader side. An alternative would be to use
>other mail & news programs. There use to be a TkMail that was pure Tcl,
>later versions made use of Perl for some things, and it aslo grew into
>TkRat, a full featured mail agent, but uses extensive amount of C extensions.
>Vmail docs said some of it came from TkMail also.

AS it stand vmail does an excellent job and I reckon we stick with it and further develop it as the standard graphical mail/news prog. Looks like I'll have to learn tcl codeing or just jump straight in and learn the hard way as usual!!

Dave
muLinux U.K. mirror

>--
>Tom Poindexter