Re: Go to the SunSite!

From: Andrea Manzini (linux@netbusiness.it)
Date: Mon Apr 26 1999 - 13:00:59 CEST

While I was hacking, Michele Andreoli wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 05:40:59PM +0200, Andrea Manzini wrote:
> > While I was hacking, Michele Andreoli wrote:
> >
> > > I compiled a new generation kernel (2.2.2) and done some trial with muLinux.
> > > Many tools simply don't work (route, ipfwadm, loadlin, etc) and
> > > some recompilation activity is needed.
> >
> > is there a reason for using the new kernel in mulinux ? I see only
> > disavantages.
> >

> You are right. But in the future? What happen when we cannot found
> some driver for muLinux?

mulinux will be bigger :)

> And what you think about PCMCIA? new pcmcia package will work anyway
> with 2.0.36 kernel? I don't know.
>
> I would like the new kernel for two reasons:
>
> 1) better sound support: a module with irq selectable at run-time,
> I hope. We can to forget the SB irq=5/7 problem

would you like to include the drivers for ALL sound cards ? :-O
mulinux isn't intended to grow in a full-multimedia system :-D

> 2) NT file system access.

This is a good choice. A patch for 2.0.36 is already out there, AFAIK.

> (PC-speaker still unsupported in new kernel!)
>
> Anycase, don't worry yourself: this a long term question.

we're just talking :)

--
   Andrea Manzini    | "Nissuna cosa e' che piu' c'inganni che il
linux@netbusiness.it |  nostro giudizio" (Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519)