Re: Universal Processor (was Re: [oc] x86 IP Core)

CodeMorphing is considerably complex and is probably best left for the big
boys with a sizable development budget. I think what would work better is to
look at older design solutions to produce a simplified solution. In
particular I would like to suggest using a design derived from Bit-Slice
technology such as the AM2903 (AM2901 with mul/div) and AM2910 program
sequencer.

Then instead of using ROM for the control store (as in traditional design)
you use internal RAM blocks in the FPGA. For ease in development of control
store code for emulation of x86 or other instruction sets you would first
produce control store code to emulate the OpenRisc (with the 2903). The
intention would be to have control store to emulate both OpenRisc and
"system under test". In this manner you could use (develop) tools written in
C running in the OpenRisc emulation. (e.g. instruction traces) but yet not
suffer a performance hit when executing the emulation code.

The design of the AM2903 permits it to perform multiple operations within
one clock cycle making it an efficient choice for writing an emulator. In
some cases I could see some x86 instruction emulations taking only one
AM2903 clock cycle. Back in the early 80's I had some experience using the
AM2901 and AM2910 in emulating another processor. It took a little bit
getting used to but it was not all that difficult to master.

When you first look at the AM2903 your first impression will be "it's not a
complete processor". And that is precisely the point. The processor becomes
complete with the addition of the control store and the supporting
components placed around the core. There is little excess weight.

A good starting point would be

http://www.altera.com/products/ip/processors/m-cas-2901.html
(Which references http://www.cast-inc.com/)

Jim Dempsey