RE: [fpu] Rounding of Floating Point Numbers

Hi,
> >There are three round to nearest approaches 1)
> Round to nearest even
> >2) round half-integers away from 0 3) truncate to
> integers towards 0
> >
> >I suggest that the rounding mode should be selected
> by
> >a control word in the FPU
>
> I don't know what this "Lecture Notes" are about,
You can find it in one of the links mentioned in the
FPU page (sorry the links has to be organized)

> and don't understand
> what a "half-integer" is.
it means, numbers 0-4 are trancated while 5-9 are
trancated and the next digit is incremented
(i.e. 4.64 => 4.6, 3.47 => 3.5)

Let me reiterate again
> what the IEEE-754 spec.
> says about rounding (again this is from the actual
> specification from
> IEEE-754 that lies in from of me right now):
>
> 1) Round to Nearest [DEFAULT]
> 2) Directed Rounding [USER SELECTABLE]
>    a) Round to +INF
>    b) Round to -INF
>    c) Round to Zero
>
> Per specification, the default has to be rounding to
> the nearest, and the
> other three user selectable.
>
> rudi

Regards,