[fpu] Re: FPU spec

From: Jamil Khatib <jamilkhatib75@yahoo.com>

>I'd like to suggest to represent NaN as 1 in the msb
>of the fraction and all other bits as zeros. The
>standard does not define the fraction bits of NaN. The
>exponent should be all ones and the fraction should
>not be all zeros. Some times my suggested
>representation is called SNaN Signaling NaN, and I do
>not know if we should support it in our design.

Actually there are two type of NaNs:
1) Signaling NAN. This type of NAN will cause an exception i.e.
a trap to be asserted.
2) Quiet NAN. This type of NAN will propegate and not cause
any traps or exceptions.

I believe a semi-standard has evolved where MSB of the fraction
qualifies quiet from signaling NANs. The remaining bits of the fraction
are irrelevant (except that they can not be all zerro for a NAN; a fraction
of all zero becomes a INF. Both of this are true when the
exponent is all ones).
I think forcing the bits to any value does only add logic. Anything above
the above variations of SNAN and QNAN, is in my oppenion not needed.

You should read the actual IEEE-754 specificatipon and the requirements.
Most "summaries" of the standard that are offered at public web sites are
incompleate and might have erros. I suggest to get the real thing from IEEE
(www.ieee.org).

>Note: Please give me some constructive comments and

Aahh, you mean you donīt want others to do as YOU have done in the past !!!

rudi