Re: [fpu] fmul performance

[cut]
> Anyhow if that is so simple why do large companies do
> not go to higher precisions when they have enough
> resources if they want to keep on the same performance
>
> Regards
> Jamil Khatib

I think because:
1.) More precision -> more resources -> more expensive chip (you know
how competitive market is today !)
2.) More precision -> slower design -> ...
3.) Most ordinary customers need only single precision anyway (rocket
scientists are not ordinary customers IMO ;-)

But of course I might be wrong and it is not so simple to scale to
double precision just by modifying vector size. Anyone?

regards,
Damjan