Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 10:13 PM
Subject: RE: [usb] USB-to-Bluetooth

Because  of the turn-around time (and some other issues), you cannot just convert transmissions from the PC host and send them to the device on the other side of the Bluetooth net (and vice versa) because the Bluetooth protocol will not be able to respond in time for the USB protocol requirements.  So, the USB device must "dummy" up responses from the remote Bluetooth device until actual responses are received.  This requires extra horsepower at the USB dongle end.  Same issue for the USB-to-Bluetooth adapter to act as a hub.

In any case, the USB is just a bus to attach the Bluetooth adapter to the PC Host, Bluetooth can already accept multiple connections, what would be the function of trying to make the USB-to-Bluetooth adapter look like a hub?

Marc Reinig
System Solutions