Re: [usb] USB for Industrial Equipment

** Proprietary **

hi,

if u r going to use some commercial off the shelf tranceivers, then most of ur burden will be removed. transceivers don't cost more than u might be expecting. they r simple to be used and reliable. also refer to philips USB1.1 transceiver(PDIUSBP11A) data sheet.

just go through the USB spec(electrical requirements - chapter 7) for more details.

...vikas.

>>> ricky@hugletech.com 01/28/03 07:50AM >>>
Hello,

Im not very familiar with USB yet, but is it ok to use USB
instead of  RS-232 for industrial equipment? I know that
the interface has to be more robust, so it should include
overcurrent/overvoltage/transient protection circuitry, right?
So Im thinking of PTCs, MLVs, ESD suppressors - but now Im
worried that I may be overdoing it.  So another question is,
how much protection do you actually need? What kind of
protection can you do without?  Im also thinking about the
cost factor.  Maybe you guys can suggest other low-cost
alternatives?

Rgds,

Ricky Nite