Re: [pci] PCI <-> 8255 PIO

At 12:49 PM 4/29/2003 -0600, you wrote:
Hi all,
Absolutely new here, so please bear with me ;-)

I'm trying to built a board which has 2-4 8255 chips attached to the pci  bus. My idea is to get the Memec Spartan 2 board for it, and make a small add-on board with the 8255s (and other stuff). I thought about using the Opencores PCI Bridge for it.

This is a little silly.  An 8255 merely has I/O's -- you would be better off just using the I/O's of the FPGA for this function.  Is this a school project?

So, the question are ...

a.) What problems should I expect ?

b.) how difficult would that be ? (boards & layouts are not a problem)

c.) are there still enough resources in the spartan II left (with the pci bridge & control for the 8255s), to add a DMA engine to it ?

d.) Anybody out here did something like this ?

e.) where else to look for any input/links ?

cheers & thanks in advance