Re: [pci] pci board layout specifications

On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 07:19  AM, Marco Buffa wrote:

> Good morning,
> I'm going to prototipe a PCI board with the PCI-bridge core on a
> Spartan 2e for my thesis work.
> I would like to know if there is some particular layout specification
> for the PCI signals (wire lenght, wire distance, low-R, ecc...)

PCI layout for the peripheral card is actually fairly easy. Just
remember a few things:

* Put the chip package as close to the card-edge as you can
* Make the bus lines as short as you can (except for the clock)
* For an FPGA, place the pins on the chip in the same order as they
appear on the card
* Try not to route the lines through more than one via
* The clock line is special - keep it close to two inches

The spec is designed so that most of the tricky layout work falls to
the backplane designer.

The MindShare book on PCI, "PCI System Architecture", has some good
information on this, as I recall. It's also a lot cheaper than the PCI
spec :)

cheers
----
Michael Ashton <data@ieee.org>
Q:      What's the difference between the 1950s and the 2000s?
A:      In the 2000s, a man walks into a drugstore and states loudly,
"I'd
         like some condoms," and then, leaning over the counter,
whispers,
         "and some cigarettes."