Re: [pci] Information on the PCI bus

On Wednesday 03 April 2002 11:29 am, you wrote:
> It appears that the company I work for has to be a member company, or
> I have to pay $3000 to get information on the PCI bus.  Is there anyway
> to get the information for free?

The standard isn't freely downloadable, but you don't have to be a PCI-SIG
member; the standard itself is in the $100 neighbourhood (I think), if you're
not a PCI-SIG member.

A slightly cheaper alternative is to get the Mindshare book, called "PCI
System Architecture". It's meant as a supplement to the standard, but is very
complete; I was able to design a PCI card using it, except for the physical
dimensions, for which I used a template.

In answer to your question, though: you can draw up to 500 mA from the +12
line, and 100 mA from the -12 line. From the 5V lines you can draw 5A, and
from the 3.3V lines you can draw 7.6A. The maximum power a card may consume
is 25W.

regards -- Michael Ashton <data@ieee.org>