[pci] FIFO

Miha, you're right: The Xilinx architecture has some unpleasant width
constraints for the BLOCK RAMs. For 40 bits you will need 3 of them but I cant
see why you want to separate the FIFOs (there are certainly some performance
penaltys regarding the smaller buffer size and the switching but thats it). I
would suggest a straight forward general fifo interface and allow the system
designer to select / integrate himself for a specific target technology (I dont
know if someone at Openocores already specified guidllines for technology
dependent blocks). My recomendation is: 3xBRAMs (2x16x256entrys, 1x8x256 entrys)
so you'll have some space left (8x256 Byte) and use it multiplexed: 40bits x
64entrys x 4 fifos.

Thanks for your suggestion (master/target verification). I'm not fixed on PCI
somehow but You and Tadej will do the Wishbone, right ?
As PCI side interface will probably be ready some days earlier than Wishbone it
would be a good idea to start there: Which toolchain are you using for the
designs?

What has happend to the PCI board level simulation models maitained by Ovidiu (I
cant find the module "PCIsim" via CVS)?

Cheers,
Oliver

  |"Miha Dolenc" <mihad@opencores.org>@opencores.org                       |
  |2001-05-29 17:58                                                        |

Please respond to pci@opencores.org
Sent by:  owner-pci@opencores.org