Re: [openrisc] is Cray needed to synthesize ORP

Hi ppl.

I can only speak for my consumption of cpu/mem.
But if you have forgotten to instansiate techology
specific memories for the cpu ( for example )
the tool and the script will assume that you want
to implement everything as regular ff/latches, which
can skyrocket memusage.. I did that misstake once,
it shot my usage up to 2G ram and still chewing
on the swap.. I only syntesize the or1200.. and
I synth with only the regfile as ff's since i dont
have memory blocks.. i just took a block that i didn't
have and named it. My synthesis tool will create a black
box in timing for that memory.. its good enough for further
usage.. one could discuss how much is feasible to implement
straight from the tool ( ic / dc / immu / dmmu etc tags perhaps )
but id recommend to keep it only to regfile.
My usage is 300-350M ram approx. and takes between 3000-9000 sec to
synth on a p4 2.4G with 2G ram.. effortlevel medium.. not
to much overkill in the optimization department.. that i leave
for final synth.. Oh. Btw. This is most specific to the tool
and target I would say. Im synth:ing for a ASIC target, 0.13u.
( synth speed is also technology dependent of course )
So.. If you comment out all the memories defined in the
or1200 configuration you will get generated memories by the tool.
So don't do that unless you really need it that way. :)
I havn't looked much at the other parts included in the ORP
so i cant speak for them.. but my guess is that this might
be your problem ( unless your tool is really memory hungry or
has caught som really nasty bug ).

best regards
christian m.