[openrisc] need help with boot strategy

Hi

I know boot strategy is always board dependent and an engineering issue.
But I hope more experienced engineer can give me an idea of what's
usually done.

Here is the problem:
Assuming I have already a way to program a FPGA (CPU) and switch it on.
"First" : I shall to need to put some boot codes in RAM before the CPU
can start executing.
Should I code "First" in the FPGA (CPU) or
somehow have done "First" and switch on the FPGA afterward?

What is usually done in these cases? Thanks.