Re: [openrisc] Custom Unit Compiler

Hi!

On Thursday 17 April 2003 12:16, virtual_timoliver@lycos.co.uk wrote:
> Ok thanks I will have look at that source code.
> I was also wondering what was the exact intended purpose of the
> custom unit compiler in the architectural simulator.
It is fully capable ANSI C to verilog converter. It does many really heavy
optimizations (more than modern C compilers) on the source code and can build
very smart verilog models, which can do bursts, etc. At the same time it is a
profiler, so basically you can choose functions which takes most time.
Estimations for hardware resources, timings etc. are calculated.
Speedup is of course application specific and can range from few times to
several thousands or even more.
units can be used asynchronously, synchronously or pipelined. Waiting is fully
automated.
Anyway code is still beta, but I made parts of MPEG4 and test programs run on
it in verilog simulator.

> A brief introduction to its operation would help me greatly to
> further understand the code :-)
If you look at the code, you will find even that highly unlikely ;) Although
the code is IMHO well documented is too much complex to explain it in just a
few sentences.

best regards,
Marko