Re: [openrisc] Re: PC as GPR?

> Sure, MHz is not important, overall performance is important (or
power/size
> if you have other requirements).
except for marketing reasons ;)

> But it is hard to come from an idea to verified working HW. Not to mention
> all the software. If I'd know how exactly windowed register file is
> implemented in Sparc GCC, we would have windowed register file. ;-)
Not all windowed register files are good. For example, Sparc -- I've heard
that thay would be happier if they would choose not to implement this
feature, but they must do it for compatibility reasons.
Besides normal functions you also have interrupts and system calls
which can make windowed register file useless, if not implemented correctly.
I think we chosed the right path to implement things bit simpler, but safer.

Marko