Re: [openrisc] AMIGA DE & Commercial application

----- Original Message -----
From: <Test1@yahoo.com>
To: <openrisc@opencores.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2001 12:20 AM
Subject: [openrisc] AMIGA DE & Commercial application

> Hello
> I want to ask about possible commercial application of OpenRISC 1000 /
2000 CPUs. Are the CPUs ready for commercial application against mainstream
CPU, such as Pentium IV, PowerPC, ARM, SH?

First of all you need to understand that OR1K target applications are not
the same as for Pentium IV or high performance PowerPC CPUs. In fact you
can't compare Pentium IV and ARM with regard to target applications. OR1200
in particular targets applications like ARM9 or SH-4 does.

To be honest right now OR1200 is not yet mature to be used as replacement
for ARM or SH. You'll have to wait for at least 6 months.

> What about the performance and power requirement?

About the same as ARM9. Maybe power is a bit higher.

> How many transistors are in the new CPUs?

Depends whether you include cache and TLB transistors in the calculation.
Simple answrr is about the same as ARM9.

> What is the clock rate of the new CPU?

About 250MHz worst case in 0.18u.

> Is it compatible with SOI, BBULL, Flip and other new IC technology?

OR1200 is technology indepdendent - ie soft core. So it can be used with all
technologies you listed.

> Is it possible to create multiple cores CPU (SMP)?

It is possible to use several CPUs in parallel but it does not yet have
support for SMP. This is planned for next version.

> Is this CPU compatible with OCM (On Chip Multiprocessing) /
Multithreading?

Not in OR1200, SMT planned for next version.

> What is the wafer size and connector line size on the new CPU?
> (ie 0.13 micron etc)

OR1200 is a soft core.

> Using AMIGA DE (Digital Environment), it is possible to use co-processor
cards (with multiple CPUs) to increase the speed of application programs on
Windows, Linux and AMIGA OS (4.2 & 5.0).
> (see TotalImpact MPower cards) http://www.totalimpact.com
> AMIGA DE is also used on PDA, cell phone and set top box.
> This new platform is supported by 50 leading vendors (OCPA).
> http://www.ocpa.jp
>
> Is it possible to use OR1000 & OR2000 with the new AMIGA DE?

I'm not familiar with AMIGA DE so I can't answer this question.

regards,
Damjan