Re: [openrisc] Context switching...

Since the context switching involving the change of processor mode (from
user mode to supervisor mode to allow the Operating System gains the
control), and since the context includes user registers, it would be
beneficial to have load/store multiple register transfer insns from/to
memory, which can be executed in privileged mode.

So the OS can save/restore user process state easily (doesn't need to
switch back to user mode to save/restore banked user register, etc).

Q1: BTW, have you define the mechanism of processor's mode change? (e.g.
which general/special regs are banked? etc.)

Q2: What components does teh HW context consisted of? (e.g. on a VAX-11
machine, they are GPR R0-R15, program status long word, base and length
regs, stack pointers).

Thanks.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Damjan Lampret wrote:

> At the moment this is the idea...
>
> regards, Damjan

-usef-