[fpu] Re: FPU question

on 8/15/01 15:23, Chieu Minh at ttcminh@dee.hcmut.edu.vn wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm reading the source code FPU which 's downloaded from www.opencores.org
> I have trouble with this . In the file pre_norm_fmul.v at line 99-103
> assign {co2,exp_tmp2} = op_div ? ({co1,exp_tmp1} + 8'h7f) : ({co1,exp_tmp1} -
> 8'h7f);
> assign exp_tmp3 = exp_tmp2 + 1;
> assign exp_tmp4 = 8'h7f - exp_tmp1;
> assign exp_tmp5 = op_div ? (exp_tmp4+1) : (exp_tmp4-1);
> I don't know why we have to plus 8'h7f with {co1,exp_tmp1}  when division and
> subtract {co1,exp_tmp1} with 8'h7f
> If everyone have any idea about this trouble , please send them for me.
> All your helps will be appreciated.
> Your sincerely,
> TRUNG

This is rather difficult to explain, without going in to a lot of details.
I would recommend the following book, you can order it online from Amazon:

Title: "Computer Arithmetic, Algorithms and Hardware Design"
Author: Behrooz Parhami
ISBN Number: ISBN 0-19-512583-5

Opencores is not an educational organization. It's purpose is to provide
Free IP cores. Try some news groups that focus on this subject.

Cheers !
--
rudi