Re: [fpu] Architecture

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Damjan Lampret wrote:

> do we want a coprocessor type of FPU or a FPU that is like a functional unit
> in the processor. In first case all insns with opcodes reserved for FP are
> sent to the coprocessor including FP branch and alike insns. In the second
> case all insns including FP are issued by the CPU core (either to the IU or
> FP functional units) and the CPU core resolves structural and data hazards.

Correct, I like call this FPU as coprocessor and FPU as peripheral device,
I also prefer the second approach so CPU core responsible to recognize
whether it is an FP insn or not. What about making powerpc fPU as a
starting point? Its internal data representation on FP data reg is double
real fp format, though not like many other FPU arch, it is simple and
easy to convert to any other formats. I'm start working on that.

Some modern RISC have instruction sequencer and interface of its own (I
mean FPU as coprocessor), so that's not true if FPU as peripheral
device is the only choice for modern RISC.

rgrds,

Usef