[ethmac] Implementation

Hi,

I'm currently looking at implementing an ethernet interface for an FPGA
based design I'm building.

What is the easiest way to hook my FPGA test board up so that I can
test the ethernet part of the design.

I've found datasheets online for two MII demo boards

78Q2120M-DB MII adapter design
http://www.mynet.com.cn/TDK/products/appnote22.pdf

and

lxd970a demo board
http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/lan/manuals/24910301.pdf

Unless I've misunderstood something I should be able to connect
either of these via some of the prototyping pins on my FPGA dev
board to MII of the MAC core.

Where would I get hold of one of these test boards to use in my
prototype? Or something simmilar (I don't want to try soldering
surface mount PHY chips for the prototype)

Or am I missing something, and is there an easier way to solve
this problem?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a stupid question.

--
TFM