Re: [ethmac] wave forms!

----- Original Message -----
From: "ajay kumar m" <mundlur_ajay@r... >
To: ethmac@o...
Date: 10 Oct 2002 06:02:32 -0000
Subject: [ethmac] wave forms!

> Hi!
>
>   Kindly send me the basic waveforms or timing diagrams for the
> communication controller(ethmac).so that it can be presented as a
> part of basic design specification of the Ethernet MAC /
> communication controller. obilige to the request!!!

What!? Who's making requests??? I don't understand: Do WE need
timing diagrams or do YOU need them?? I think you know the answer
to that question, and that answer also implies who should do some -
WORK- (that's right, the awful W***-word!) to aquire the needed
waveforms for themselves.

I'll give you some hints on the way:

1. You'd probably want the WISHBONE interface timing diagrams. I'd
say it's a safe bet to look in the WISHBONE spec to start off. You'll have
to find and download that pdf for yourself. (Hint: it's probably available
from opencores webpage...)

2. You could always look in the ethmac documentation to see if there
are any timing diagrams. (I don't remember if there are, and I'm just
as lazy as you, so I'm not bothered to look either!)

3. Aquire the needed waveforms for YOURSELF! Oh, the horror! You'd
need to do some work now, so let's get started right away:

3b. Download the ethmac core from opencores. This involves typing an
URL and clicking a few links...

4. Unpack and analyze the core. Can't help you with the specifics, since
a) I'm not familiar with your enviroment and b) I couldn't care less
anyway. I'll trust you with enough intelligence to accomplish that by
yourself.

5. Open your simulator of choice, Modelsim works fine for us. Load the
ethmac design. Trace the signals you want for your presentation -
that'd probably include the WISHBONE interface and MII signals, which
are easily available at the core top level.

6. Run the testbench. This will indeed produce your desired waveforms
in a matter of seconds, a minute at most. (Hard work, isn't it?)

7. Now print or dump your selected screenshots. Mission accomplished,
very well done!

And you could be proud to say that you actually did your own
homework instead of, not asking, but -REQUESTING- that someone else
should do it for you. Oh, the glory...

> thank you .expecting the earliest positive reply

You're most welcome. I doubt you'll consider this a "positive" reply,
since I didn't attach a bunch of screenshots with your homework
completed, but I sincerily hope that this is the -ONLY- reply you'll get!

And I don't really care what you "expect" or not, I just want to state
my frim opinion:

In a nutshell - DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK! It will benefit you the most.

kind regards
/Mathias