[ethmac] MAC Rx architecture

Having got some great feedback on this forum already, I'd like to ask
another question - one which I've been pondering for a couple of days
now:

If the functionality of the MAC Receiver for GigMAC is basically the same
as for Fast Ethernet (full-duplex only), what is the difference in the
resulting hardware architecture? Is it simply that for GigMAC the
hardware must operate faster to handle the faster arrival of data? Or
would a completely different approach be required?

I've thought about using an arbiter with multiple instantiations of Fast
Ethernet MAC Rx units to acheive Gigabit throughput as an option. At
the moment though I'm trying to go with a single rx unit operating
extremely quickly.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Colin