From: jcwh@sina.com [mailto:jcwh@sina.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 5:13 PM
To: ethmac@opencores.org
Subject: RE: [ethmac] how about VLAN?

if we need to insert a vlan tag in a received frame.we should:
1 check the non-vlan packet is good or bad by calculate crc for it.
2 intert a VLAN tag.
3 reculate crc for the new packet.

so, we shall implement 2 CRC modules in this design. and the circuits is
very complicated.

if we desing a special arithmetic, maybe only one crc module is needed.
and circuits became simple?

i mean when recalculate crc, we just calculate the crc for VLAN tag,
and use this crc value to modify the original CRC.
i don't know the details, but i think it is possible.