RE: [ethmac] Ethernet MAC Core questions.

Hi,

   I'm not sure as for the core exact status etc however few comment :

1.
Back pressure have its own use however from system point of view back
pressure is dissaster and should not be used unless you realy really
need it. back pressure (and in this aspect also flow control) can reduce
the overall system bandwidth to be extremly low.

The point you don't loss packet in the majority of the cases is less
importent than the bandwidth you loss as most protocol have no problem
to "recover" from lost packet.

2.
Address resulotion to be done effectivly mean either use a large memorey
with some sort of hashing or a cam and I belive that this is not done
here. on the other hand as a "edge-MAC" you don't realy need to know the
"whole system" or even part of it all you need to know is your own MAC
(MAC's) and maybe multicast/broadcast depend on the application, so the
ARL is "reduce" to few address comperator which I belive this is what
done in this MAC.

IF you plan to use this mac in a bridge/router and not as "edge-MAC" you
will need for sure some sort of ARL to reduce wasted traffic.

have a nice day

   Illan