RE: [ethmac] FW: exchanging data trough the Ethernet card.

24-Aug-00

   Hi,

        Both question depend on your card.

Most likely the ful duplex can be change by software as you most likely have
a register in the card that you write to it telling the card wether to work
in full duplex or half duplex.

now days I belive everyone make the Ethernet interface to work in both mode
just as all new 100 are actually 10/100 simple because it is almost the same
effort.

If I understand your second question you would like to send short packet
with are shorter than what the Ethernet standart allow.

in general this can sure be done just as you can shronk the preamble in the
"network" you will have the "big" question is will your card support it !.

many card will filter all packet that are short than 64 and simple reject
them and rais an error flag, and on the other direction in many cases the
card will add padding to get the minimum size.

so if I understand right what you want to do , you will need to find a card
that will forward to the cpu even fragment packets as well as "agree" to
send short packet to the line. and if you don't find such card I guess you
will have to design one.

have a nice day

   Illan