Re: [ethmac] first topics

At 05:35 PM 4/11/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Novan Hartadi wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > > My suggestion for an architecture:
>
> > > All 32-bit registers.
> > > Command buffered.
> > > Variable receive and transmit descriptor lists and frame sizes.
>
> > Does these descriptors manage frame in transmit and receive FIFO ?
>
>With the RTL-8139 chip, there is a separate transmit and receive FIFO,
>and data is spilled from the FIFO into the descriptors (or ring
>buffer).  I'm not sure about Tulip, I would presume some sort of on-chip
>FIFO, however small, before data gets tossed into the buffers residing
>in main memory via a DMA burst.

That's pretty much how they all work, the FIFO's are to improve efficiency
by giving the ability to do burst transfers, and to deal with bus latency.

Kent

Praesum Communications                  Phone: (510) 337-0495
Suite 1                                 Fax:   (510) 337-0418
1134E Ballena Blvd                      email: kent@praesum.com
Alameda, Ca. 94501                      web:   www.praesum.com