Re: [ecc] Decoding different (N,K) combinations

How about just going through the whole thing. Are you sure that the chien
algorithm is the bottle neck of your system, maybe you can just waste a few
clocks and nothing will happen...

Lior

                    Nimrod Mesika
                    <nimrodm@beze        To:     ecc@opencores.org
                    qint.net>            cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     [ecc] Decoding different (N,K) combinations
                    owner-ecc@ope
                    ncores.org

                    06/16/2001
                    11:14 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ecc

I'm having trouble implementing the Chien search algorithm for
shortened codewords (i.e., N<255 for GF(256)).

It seems like I can do one of the following:

o Start the search from the last byte of the codeword (the lowest
  power of alpha, alpha^(-1)) and proceed up to alpha^(-N). Thus,
  the output will be in reverse order with respect to the input of
  the decoder.

o Start the search from alpha^(-N) and proceed to alpha^(-1). This
  is simple if N is constant. However, if N may be different for
  different codewords, another set of (non-constant) multipliers are
  necessary so that coefficients of lambda(x) and omega(x) will be
  multiplied by alpha^(-N) before the search starts.

  Of course, this method also requires a ROM table of alpha^(-N)
  for every possible N.

I was wondering if there is a simpler method? Anyone?

I'll be happy to provide my C code and (almost finished) verilog
code.

--
Nimrod.