Re: [bluetooth] question...

On Friday 17 January 2003 16:10, Alban Villain wrote:
> It is not specific to BT stacks. It concerns data transmission systems in
> general, and wireless systems in particular. It has nothing to see with
> implementation.
>
> Do you agree or not that corrupted baseband packets can pass all the
> baseband tests ?
>   - FEC2/3 is not able to correct or detect all errors ;
>   - CRC may not detect all errors ;
>   - So there is a very little but non zero probability that corrupted
> packets passes through baseband checkings...

I agree on that. In fact, the probability may be higher than one think.
Even a 2^32 chance is pretty often. E.g. I produce 1 million devices that
sends 1000 packets per hour on average, and 10% of packets contains random
data, we are looking at a "slip through" every 40 hours or so.

> For your products, did you experience unexplained crashes ?

I wish. I haven't come so far in implementation. But I have faced exactly the
same problem for non-wireless systems. Typically it boils down to raising the
"probability" by dozens of magnitudes in the upper level protocols.

My concern, considering your statement, was that the BT stack by itself is not
fault-tolerant enough to handle corrupted packets at a higher level. That
sounded worrying, and if it is so by design I will cancel my project right
away. If it is so by implementation in available stacks, it can be fixed.

Cheers

Niclas